Monday, May 23, 2011

Tuesday, 9:22 am.

Yesterday morning, as I was getting ready to leave for school, I got a knock on my door. I called out "hello", but couldn't hear a reply. I opened the door and found 2 women with buckets and mops indicating that we supposed to come in and clean my room. Surprised, but pleased, I let them in and they mopped the floor, cleaned the window sill and bathroom. I've seen the thing they used as a mop before: it is a long pole with a short piece of wood "T-ed" at the end. Then they throw a towel partially over the top of that end with the rest of it on the flloor and scrub away. It's just like washing with a rag without having to get on your knees. I've never seen an American style mop here.

At home I had bought four DK animal sticker books before leaving, thinking they might be interesting to a group of veterinarians. Yesterday I only had a small group in class, so I brought them out. I was surprised at how big a hit they were. I've never seen a group of women in their 30's and 40's get so caught up in putting stickers in books. To keep it semi-educational, I had them read out loud the paragraph about each animal when they put the stickers in place.

2 comments:

  1. I am LOL. My mental image of your students and the stickers is quite good. Too bad I haven't time to send you more sticker books! Great teaching aid!

    ReplyDelete