Friday, May 13, 2011

Saturday, 8:20 am, Blogger has returned

No posts yesterday because "Blogger" was unavailable, but I find that he (she, it?) is back at the job, so I am, too. Here's what you missed: Thursday after class I went to a new-to-me grocery store that is much nicer than the ones I've frequented so far. I bought digestive biscuits made in Oman, sweetened dill pickles from Poland, strawberry jam from Poland, and applesauce among too many other things. I completely neglected to think about the fact that I'd have to carry all these cans and jars back to my dorm room, so I was beat by the time I made it to the front door of the building. I had stopped to catch my breath after the first flight of stairs when this young, tall Mongolian guy came and took both of my bags from me and carried them to my door. I was so thankful, but of course all I could say was "thank you" a couple of times before he put down the bags and went away.

While I was in the store I heard some English being spoken behind me, so I went over to say hi. There was an older woman with 4 younger girls and the woman was obviously showing them the ropes about shopping in UB. The woman and 2 of the girls are from Canada. She's a teacher at the American School near here. The other girls are from South Carolina and all 4 girls are here on a short term study program.

All the books tell you not to drink the tap water here, although I frequently did at my other apartment, but I would never do that here. The water last year was clear and tasted fine, but the water at the dorm is discolored and leaves a ring of residue around the pot when I cook eggs. The eggs come out as lightly-dyed Easter eggs and there's no way anyone would put that water in a glass and drink it. The one saving grace this place has over last year is that we have a water filter on the ground floor and everyone fills up bottles to lug upstairs to their rooms. I carry an empty bottle with me at all times so that I can fill it on my way to school and fill it again on my way back to my room. It's a hassle, but at least the water is free and I don't have to buy drinking water all the time.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing about the water. Don't the people complain about it? Won't the city fix the problem? I'd think that safe water would be kind of a priority.... Do you wash your clothes in that water? Does it stain your clothes if you do? This is a head-shaker to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like a good grocery store! Glad you found it and some new English speakers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the city or the country has the money to fix it. So many things need to be fixed or improved, including the streets, sidewalks, air, etc. I don't know where they would start or where the money would come from. It's hard to collect taxes from nomads and even if you could find them do you take a gallon of milk or a lamb?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do most people do their shopping in UB? Car or do they walk to neighborhood shops like you did?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking, definitely. Parking is impossible and there are grocery or convenience stores on nearly every block, so it's easy to pick up some bread or eggs on the way home. In spite of the umber of cars on the road, I think I can safely say that few people have cars and if they do, they're out driving around as gypsy taxis, trying to make some money.

    ReplyDelete