Wednesday, May 4, 2011

This is spring?

The rain we had yesterday was just a prelude for the snow that arrived later in the afternoon. By the time I left the school, the ground was completely covered in white. This being Mongolia, heat in the buildings has been turned off citywide according to the calendar date, with no regard to the actual weather outside the windows. Still my room was quite cozy last night; I have plenty of blankets and the heated towel rack is still working, so there are no complaints from me.

I "timed" my walk to school this morning. Last year my trek to Aptech took exactly as long as two run-throughs of Mary J. Blige's version of "One". Today's walk lasted through 3 repetitions. I've been told that my internet situation at the dorm will be resolved this afternoon. We'll see. I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic about it. I just know that some things take a little longer than others and the communication barrier is a complication. I've also noticed that people seem to be reluctant to explicitly give me disappointing news like there will be a delay in getting something done. It seems to be easier just to let the situation drag out. Eventually things get done, but no one wants to be the bearer of bad news. So I wait and busy myself with other things and hurry to school in the mornings so that I can log on to my email and scour this blog's comments for news from all of you.

1 comment:

  1. You should be used to that changeable weather. After all, remember the St Louis weather motto.... I guess if you get cold you can use socks for mittens.

    ReplyDelete