Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday, 5/16, 7:00 pm

Happenings galore today! First of all, my students have decided they want to follow a textbook, so they chose one and voila! my lesson plan troubles are over. All I have to do each day is open the book and indicate which students are to read the conversation and my part is taken care of. Both classes are using the same book, too.
Then, at 5:30 a young Mongolian boy came into the office and started talking to me. Turns out that he will be going to Dickinson State University in Dickinson, ND, this fall and wants to practice his English. His English is actually pretty good and he apparently could understand me well, but that's still quite a step from taking classes at a university, understanding the material and passing the courses. Still, I agreed to talk with him on a regular basis, and luckily he's not shy about talking to me in English, so we'll see how this goes. Like all Mongolians he has only one name, so I'd like to see how the registrar deals with THAT in their computerized records.
The other big happening is that I have internet access in my dorm room, finally! I'm using it right now, yes RIGHT NOW, and I'm thrilled. I won't know what to do with all my free time now that 1) I won't have any lessons to plan; and 2) I can write my blog and emails in the evening and won't have to fit it in in the mornings before classes start.

2 comments:

  1. So happy you have internet in your dorm room, B! And that connection with Webster U is unreal. If someone else had scripted it, I wouldn't have believed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that he's off to the US for school! How brave, too.

    ReplyDelete