Wednesday, January 13, 2010

UB at last

After 32 hrs & 17 mins., I arrived in UB. Things have changed since my last posting, so I'll correct things now. At the last minute, I found out that the university in Khovd had not submitted my visa information & they were reluctant to have me arrive & try to fix the tourist visa to a worker's visa, so Anita got into action & found me a position in Ulan Bataar with a professional computer training school. The software they are learning to use is all in English, so the students are motivated to learn English for their careers. I teach 3 classes a day, Monday through Saturday, but the students in the classes are all mixed in abilities, so that makes teaching a bit difficult. I'm starting out trying just to learn some names & get people introduced to each other, relaxed about speaking English & having some fun.

As far as UB goes, it is a wide open place. Bldgs are mostly concrete block & plaster - crumbling & not very attractive for the most part, but every once in a while one is painted pink or yellow, so the overall effect is not at all typical of what you'd see chez nous. Luckily my apt. is only 2 blocks from the school, so the walk is easy & actually things have not been as cold as I'd feared. My apt. is quite unusual, but very reminiscent of the apts. I'd seen in Prague. The outer door is steel & the stairs are concrete. The risers on the stairs are not equal, so there is often a 2" step at the stop or bottom (or both!) of a flight of stairs. The lights in the halls & stairs are motion-detected & I have a huge steel door into the apt. with 2 double bolts. The "kitchen" is part of the foyer: a small cabinet & a jerry-rigged sink at the end that moves everytime you touch the faucet. The fridge is in the foyer, too, and a microwave, but no stove. I've been told I'll get a stove, but I don't know when or who is going to get it for me. I really don't have room for one, unless it's just a hot plate. After the foyer there are double doors going into the living room, where I have 2 arm chairs & a tv. The bedroom is to the left of the living room & has a queen-size bed & a large wardrobe with drawers. It's all very "art deco", but luckily the heat works & there's plenty of hot water, so I'm comfortable. I was esp. worried about the hot water. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to finish a shower, or rinse my shampoo out, etc. Everyday when I come home I immed. wash out my underwear, socks & shirt & they're dry by morning - that's how good the heating is. All pipes & wiring is on the inside of the room (outside the walls), so nothing looks "finished" to the western eye. There are holes in the walls where the pipes come through, w/no attempt to enclose anything.

I have another class in 10 minutes, so I'll sign off now & say Hi & Bye to everyone. Please email me whenever you can. I miss you all SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so amazing! Like it's on a different planet.... So, is it as cold there as you thought it would be? This is my first time trying this, so I'll see if I can post it...crossed fingers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo sent me your Blog and I'm glad she did!!! Your blog is fascinating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your apartment sounds primitive yet romantic?! how's the food? and the people? met any of my famiy yet???

    ReplyDelete