Sunday, January 17, 2010

Traffic, Fashion & etc.

Traffic in UB keeps you on your toes. Pedestrians cross at their own risk; Walk/Don't Walk signs seem to be suggestions, rather than rules. I stay close behind other pedestrians when I'm crossing a street since I'm not quite sure when it is the best time to do so. Luckily I only have to cross twice on my way to school. Lanes of traffic are apparently only suggestions, too. Sometimes there are 2 vehicles across; sometimes there are 3. It's just a matter of fitting in wherever & whenever you can.
Young women in Mongolia (or at least in UB) are very fashionable. They wear stiletto-heeled boots with fur trim, very new & fashionable clothes, etc. Everyone seems to dress up. I've seen no one in sloppy, casual clothes, including the young men. Women on the street wear fur coats and beautiful fur hats (they couldn't be considered politically-incorrect here, right?) and carry up-to-date purses, etc. Every once in a while I'll see a man in his 40's or so wearing a del, the long, heavy, traditional Mongolian brocade coat, with a belt covered with brass medallions, soft leather boots and the traditional cap with a finial at the top (don't know how else to describe it), but these sightings are rare. There are probably more older women wearing dels than men.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know if clothes are cheap there? Is that one reason for their up-to-date fashion? Or are you in a "Ladue-type" section where people are wealthy? I guess they don't have traffic laws such as we have...or the police don't care. Well, go with the flow and hide in the crowd is all I have to say! jo

    ReplyDelete