Sunday, January 31, 2010

My puppies

Saturday after my classes were through I was in the office, writing up my goals for the school director, when I heard some terrible puppy cries from the parking lot. They went on for quite a long time. When I eventually got downstairs, one of the puppies (the total population count is 2 adult dogs that look rather like German shepherds, one adult dog that looks like a Yorkie, and 2 puppies) was hiding underneath a car. I couldn't get him to come out for anything and every time he moved, he squealed in pain. I went to buy a couple of hot dogs at the Minii to lure him out, but when I got back to school, he had moved out from under the car and was in the back of the parking lot.

I walked around to the back of the lot, and the other dogs came out, but that puppy hid. I fed some hot dog pieces to the other dogs and tried to tempt the puppy out, but he stayed hidden from me. In fact, he tried to hide further, but cried when he moved. One of the German shepherd-like dogs licked his leg. As a last resort, I threw a small piece to him and left.

This morning (Monday), I was anxious to see him and find out if he had a serious injury, but luckily he was out front & center with the others when I showed up. I don't know what had happened on Saturday, if he was in the way and accidentally injured, kicked by someone, or what, but he sure was traumatized for a while. Luckily he seemed fine this morning, so my mind is at ease. I've been careful not to get the dogs dependent on me for their meals. I'm just there to supply a small treat, to try to fatten them up a bit and to show them that not all humans are uncaring beasts. In fact, in the beginning I was leaving my snacks anonymously, but eventually one dog came around while I was leaving the food, so I was ID'd. My puppies are so cute! I can't wait until I can post a picture of them.

2 comments:

  1. Feed them an extra treat from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always send the opened cat food that the boys reject....
    Glad that you're doing that. I hate to see abandoned animals.

    ReplyDelete