Monday, January 18, 2010

Odds & Ends

Today the temperature dropped a bit. It is the first day when I've been able to tell that it is very cold outside. I've been very comfortable & haven't felt cold walking to school or home since I've been here, but today there was a discernible difference. It's still not the bone-chilling temperatures that I had imagined, but some tears did fall from my eyes & freeze on my cheeks as I walked along the street. At home I had imagined that it would be too cold to breathe comfortably, but it hasn't. I've only needed my long underwear pants, not the tops, & haven't needed gloves at all, believe it or not. As soon as I enter a building I have to pull off my scarf & unzip my coat, or I'll overheat - especially as soon as I begin my ascent of 4 flights of stairs, whether to my apt. or the school.

This morning a new dog joined the 2 who are regulars outside the school. This one is a puppy who looks to be about 8-10 weeks. I hate to resort to stereotypes, but I haven't seen much evidence that shows any love for dogs in this country. The dogs are all submissive, as I reported earlier, and I haven't seen any wagging a tail: they all keep them tucked between their legs. I saw a man go after one of the school dogs with a large lump of ice (or maybe it was concrete?), ready to throw it at him. I could only leave the area as quickly as possible. I didn't want to see what was going to happen. The only thing I can say is that I heard no yelping or cries, so maybe he was just going to scare it away from him, although it certainly wasn't coming near him to begin with. The dogs' submissiveness even extends to each other. They don't seem to growl at each other, or try to steal food from one another. They're not a pack, they're just 3 individuals who are hanging out in the same parking area. I don't even see them trying to huddle together to keep warm.

Anita's friend, Duba, came to see me this afternoon when I had a break between classes. She works on the 3rd floor of the same building the school is in. She apologized for not visiting me earlier, but she is the accountant for her company and has had to prepare the taxes for the year that ended in December. On top of that, she is going on vacation to Germany next week for 2 weeks, so she's had to work ahead so that she can take off. She promised me that she will take me around when she returns from her trip & we will go into the countryside. I'm looking forward to that.

One of these days I'll get some photos posted. Until then, I'll just describe my "foyer-kitchen". There's only 1 electrical outlet in the area, so if I want to plug in the microwave, I have to unplug the fridge. One of the teachers brought me a hotplate that uses small propane canisters, so as soon as I can get some matches, I'll be cooking. There is one outlet in the living room for the TV and one in the bedroom, but that one is hanging off the wall by its wires, so I'm not going to touch it. There are no outlets in the bathroom. I may try to move the microwave to the livingroom. At least then I won't have to move the fridge to unplug it and I can put the microwave in a more convenient place than on top of the fridge.

More later. Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say that this experience might remind you of some college apartments you may have had, but none would be so bad! Especially the dangling electrical outlet! I hope you don't reach for it through habit...entering a room your hand automatically goes out to the switch on the wall.... Amazing about the temperature -- both that you hadn't needed the extra clothing and you have to shed so quickly on arriving indoors. Sounds as though their heating system is working overtime! Well, this is good to know -- I had envisioned you at the first clothing stall in the market, buying up mufflers and ear muffs and coats. Look forward to the photos! jo

    ReplyDelete