Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Laid-back Office

This is a very laid-back office: the other teachers are always playing computer games against each other, watching TV (either on the TV in the office, or on their pc's), or even sleeping. They do, of course, serve their time in classes and have their thrice-weekly lessons with me, but all in all, they seem to have a lot of fun & do what they want. Even the receptionist watches TV on her PC.

UNSOLVED MONGOLIAN MYSTERY:
The cashier at the Minii Supermarket & I have been having a non-verbal stand-off. I haven't been able to understand what he wants & he can't tell me. When I go to check out at the register, I look at the total (since I couldn't understand the numbers even if he told me). I give him a bill that is larger than the amount, e.g., for a 15,000 togrog transaction, I give him a 20,000 togrog bill. He takes my money & stands there looking at me. I stand there looking at him. We look at each other for a while; sometimes he says something in Mongolian. I look at him. Finally, he shrugs & makes a "huff" sound & gives me my change. I asked at school what he is expecting from me & nobody had a suggestion. They looked at my receipt, and I confirmed the total bill, what I had given him & the fact that he had finally given me the correct change.

I was all set to go last night & play another round with him, but when I went to the store, it was closed, in spite of the sign that indicated it would be open for a few hours longer. So, I was denied my stand-off with him, but this opened the door for another adventure. The previous night my canister of butane for my hot plate had run empty, so I needed another can if I was to have a hot meal that night. There are a couple of tiny, shack-like stores along the street that sell a variety of things like candy & cigarettes, so I stopped in at one, hoping I could identify a butane can & just point at it. At the first store, I didn't see butane, so I asked timidly if anyone spoke English. Another customer indicated that she did and after hearing my question, told me another store farther down the street would have the butane. I thanked her & walked down the street & went into the second shop. I located the butane and a couple of other things I needed and proceeded to point them out to the clerk. As opposed to the Minii, these shops have a counter with shelves behind them, so there's no self-service. As Iwas doing this, the girl from the last shop came in and smiled at me, nodded & then left. Such friendly & helpful people! She had come just to be sure I had found my way there. I also saw an unusual transaction: a young man came in & apparently asked for just a few cigarettes, because the clerk opened up a new pack & doled him out 7!

WITNESS TO AN EVENT THIS MORNING:
This morning I witnessed a touching scene. As I was leaving my apt., I encountered a group of people (about 5), clustered around a young man who was carrying an older man in his arms. He was carrying the man down the stairs (we have no elevator) and then put him into a waiting car. The older man was wearing an elaborate brocade del with a bright yellow silk belt & leather boots with turned up toes. Luckily for the older man, he seemed to have a devoted family around to help him, but what if he hadn't?

1 comment:

  1. That is very odd about the cashier. Does he expect a tip??? Have you noticed other people getting change back without a standoff???

    ReplyDelete