Thursday, January 14, 2010

The market

The market I visited the first day was VERY interesting. It was like a farmer's market, except that most of the stalls had packaged goods, instead of the fruits & vegetables like Cleveland's wonderful West Side Market. There were some fresh items, but the carrots still had mud on them or there were things I couldn't identify, or they were unusually displayed - like shrink-wrapped corn on the cob! They had tangerines in 4 different sizes, the smallest was only 1" in diameter. Meat was displayed just sitting on the counter top, rapidly turning dark red, as the blood drained away. (I didn't buy any "cow", as it was described to me.) The chicken legs were frozen, so I felt safe buying them. They had an "American" label on them. I suspect that these are US surplus due to our demand for white chicken meat stateside. However they got here, I was glad to see them. I bought tangerines, juice, milk, cheese, raisin buns, rice, sugar, salt, eggs, detergent, bananas and the chicken legs. After I got back to the apt., I realized that there were no towels, so I put that on my list for shopping in UB. I will also need cleanser and some paper towels. It's hard to guess what a "furnished" apartment will have.

1 comment:

  1. Eye-opening, isn't it? I had visions of the market being a little like the first English food market I had ever seen -- dogs wandering up and down the aisles (don't buy anything that's displayed lower than the height of your knees), eggs that simply sat in wooden crates and you could buy as many eggs as you wished.... That sort of thing. I think I'd shy away from the cow meat, too. Besides turning my stomach from the sight, I'd wonder what it harbored, just sitting on the counter! :) I assume you've figured out the money somewhat by now. I'm astonished they have tangerines -- wonder where they get them. You are having a marvelous adventure! jo

    ReplyDelete