Friday, January 15, 2010

My first Saturday

I arose at the normal time this morning & made my way to school, because my schedule showed that I would be teaching 3 classes today, as usual. In fact, I had spoken to several students yesterday & they had confirmed class time w/me for today. I got to school an hour before class was to begin so that I could check my email (my lifeline!) and prepare in general for teaching. The door was locked & the school was dark, but I figured that since today was Saturday, maybe everyone else's schedule was different, so I would wait a while. Luckily I had my knitting w/me, so I sat down on the stairs & knitted away contentedly. The hour passed & still no one arrived. After another half hour passed I decided to leave & treat myself to a session at an internet cafe, since I couldn't go until Monday w/o checking my email!!

As I was descending the stairs, I recognized another teacher coming up, so I turned around & followed her back to the doors. She explained that only 2 people have a key to the school, but I never understood why neither of them had arrived yet. She called one of them & about 20 minutes later that person arrived & let us in. Gradually other people arrived, but only 1 of them was a student for the class that was already over by that time. I asked about the schedule for the day & was told that since today was Saturday that most people were sleeping in.

Ah well, that's just one of the little problems that arise when you can't speak the language & people can't speak enough to explain why something has happened, if there even is an explanation to begin with. Maybe scheduling isn't as big a thing here as it is at home. Maybe attendance is more "optional" here than it would be stateside. I don't know & I probably won't know, either. Anyway, my day is not wasted because I have access to this computer & the internet & I got some knitting done, as well!

I do have to say that the students here are exceedingly polite & deferential. If they are late for class, they stand at the door & ask permission to enter. Yesterday my dry erase marker was running dry & I was having trouble writing on the white board. A student left the room & came back a few minutes later with a new marker for me - unasked! I told him that he was teacher's pet, but I don't think anyone caught what I was saying.

2 comments:

  1. I've often wished we could take the best things of many cultures to create a new society (where IS that desert island??) -- this just strengthens my wish! Maybe the students in the US should be reading this! :) jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did you end up spending your "snow day"? What do the locals do on the weekends there?

    ReplyDelete