Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Big surprise on my trip to the Loo

I used the loo at the school for the first time yesterday. Normally that would not be news I'd be sharing, but the facilities are worth describing. There are 2 stalls: one is a raised squatter's toilet & the other is ALMOST western, except that it is missing the seat (although it was sitting nearby, still in the stall). It is also missing the top to the tank and to flush it you have to reach inside the tank & press down on the mechanism. There is also NO TP, so I made a mental note to tuck some into my purse for the next time. I'll also try to use the one at the apartment exclusively.

I want to report on the miniature tangerines. Using my memories of the Cyrillic alphabet, left over from the 1980 Olympics, I was able to transliterate the label. It reads MANDARIN MOROCCO. The tiny tangerines are very good and you can peel one & just pop it into your mouth. It's gone in one bite. No seeds!

3 comments:

  1. They sound like the 'cuties' here. VERY small, peel easily, no seeds, segments but could just about be eaten in one swallow.
    Re: the w.c. -- Yikes! I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or cringe! Maybe both. Amazing. No other word for it.... I don't know if I'd like a photo of that! jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. so yeah, that was a lesson we learned quickly in vietnam. take a roll of TP with you all the time. some of the bathrooms in vietnam were very strange as well. even in the house we stayed at, the upstairs bathroom/shower/toothbrush station had just a hole in the corner. The floor was slanted just enough. you do your business then take a small ladle of water out of the full trashcan of water and flush it down the hole. so strange what you get used to. sounds like you are taking everything in stride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no tp? wow bh you are really roughing it! next time make sure you have a magazine with you,might i suggest the reader's digest?

    ReplyDelete