Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mongolian names & the Minii Market

Mongolians use only one name: their given name. Officially they do have a second name - their father's first name, but this is rarely used, probably only in official settings, and it is often abbreviated as just one letter or 2.
I went to the Minii Market after school on Saturday to replenish some supplies. It takes me a while to shop, as you might guess, since I'm judging things by the packages, for the most part. I did find a bag of frozen dumplings, a big Mongolian favorite, and thought I might try them, thinking they'd be easy to boil & eat, etc. Well, luckily for me there was a list on the side of the bag in English that listed "fat slice from sheep tail" as one of the ingredients. I passed on the dumplings. The previous time I was at the Minii, I saw a western face & asked her if she spoke English. Fortunately for me, she did and was able to show me where the cheese and matches were. Otherwise I would have been there for a lot longer & I still might not be able to use my hot plate. I think she was German (judging by her accent), but I didn't ask.

1 comment:

  1. Funny about the sheep fat. Reminds me a bit about you and eating the chicken "drumstick" in France.... Adventures with Food. I think if I were in Mongolia I'd become a true vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete