Monday, February 22, 2010

Packages & Mail

My sincere and continuing thanks to those who have sent me packages in Mongolia. My sister, Jo, has been responsible for relieving me from the monotony of my admittedly-self-imposed restricted menu by sending me noodle mixes, tuna and other goodies. The package was brought to me at work, so I felt compelled to open it there, but when I saw the array of treats inside, I was careful to cover the Oreos and chocolate with the noodles so I wouldn't have to share them. There were things I was willing to share, but not my Oreos!
Mary sent me a box with a stash of treats, 2 travel books that I somehow missed reading when they came out, and a couple of other surprises, all gratefully received and appreciated. Bill sent me a Valentine's package of dried fruit.
The continuing mystery is why some things are delivered here to the school and some are not. It doesn't seem to matter whether things are sent by the post office or by another carrier. The pick-up spot for the packages has differed, also. Sometimes it's one post office, sometimes its another.
This morning when I got to school, I was given 2 package delivery slips and told I needed to pick up the packages before noon. No explanation was given, just that that was what the postal carrier said. I looked at the slips and recognized one as the package I was expecting from Bill, but I wasn't expecting anything else, so I examined the 2nd slip more carefully. My name wasn't on the slip, but the strange thing was that the package was sent from a company in Chesterfield, MO, just a few miles from where my mom lived until recently. This led some credence to the possibility that it really was for me, but closer inspection revealed the name of the intended recipient, who isn't me, although the destination address of the school was correct. Strange coincidence, but true.

1 comment:

  1. That is bizarre about Chesterfield, MO. If you wrote that in a book, no one would believe it. Is that other recipient at the school? Sounds as though you are being looked after in the food department. And here I thought I was the only person doing that! When I first took the box to Fed Ex, it would have cost me $329 to send. Obviously, the post office got my business that day.... Enjoy. Cheers, etc!

    ReplyDelete