Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mongol TV

No, I won't bore you with another account of the Spanish Amazing Race. I want to report that the anchor of one of the city's news programs is one of my students. The way it happened is that his wife is an employee at the school, and thus is in my class full of teachers. She brings him to the Saturday class when he is off. I didn't realize who he was until after several classes when I saw him on TV. I was really surprised.
Commercial breaks here are interminable. Last time I counted there were 18 commercials in one break, and the absolute worst thing about it is the repetition of the same commercials over & over in the same break. I've seen as many as 6 repetitions of the same commercial in a break. I start to groan when I hear the same music begin again...and again...and again.
News standards also differ a bit from back home. They have no qualms about showing blood and tragedy, as exemplified by the views of the body of the Georgian luger that I've been priviledged to see.

1 comment:

  1. Kind of puts Fox News in perspective! At least the local NBC station warns you when they're going to show something 'disturbing' and it's not even that bad! I think we have it good with our news...

    ReplyDelete