Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New experience

I had a new experience yesterday. The teacher at the school who is pregnant, Enkhmaa, will be gone for a year's maternity leave and the director, Enkhjargal, is interviewing people for her replacement. He asked me to interview a candidate to determine how good her English is. If someone had taped the interview, it could be shown in business schools as a perfect example of what NOT to do. Her husband was in the room with us (why? I couldn't say) and when I asked her a question she couldn't understand, he translated it for her. Sometimes he had to repeat her answers to me so that I could understand them. Needless to say, she didn't get an approval rating from me. She must have thought it was the strangest interview she had ever been on, though, because I asked her questions that I ask my classes to get them to talk. These questions include: "If you could have one superpower, what would you choose?" and "If you could make one law that people would have to obey, what would it be?" Certainly not your usual interview questions, but I assumed Enkhjargal had covered that aspect of the process and it was up to me to get her to talk.

3 comments:

  1. I think the school should hire the husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enkhjargal did offer him a job originally, but he already has a job and he brought his wife in, instead.

    ReplyDelete