Saturday, March 13, 2010

Weekend Update v.2

During my week off from school during the New Year's celebrations, I finished up knitting the baby blanket for Naraa and then began on a baby sweater for no one in particular, at that time. After returning to school, I gave the sweater to one of the teachers who had driven me to the post office on one occasion, because I knew he had a 3-yr old daughter - the same one who said I "didn't talk very clearly". Well, she came to school this past week and was wearing the sweater I made. It was dirty, so I know it has been worn more than just the once to show it off to me, and I was very gratified.

I owe all of you an update on the juice wars. I have liked everything except the sea buckthorn, which tastes a bit "off" to me, almost fermented in a way like papaya tastes "off" to me, too. I have also decided that, on general principles, I do not much care for floaty bits larger than orange juice pulp in my juices, although the pieces of coconut were interesting, at the least. I bought a new juice this week, which I have not tried yet, but I just had to have it: banana juice. I'll report later.

Christina and I got together yesterday and will do so again today. I showed her the State Department Store and the German bakery, etc. We had supper at the bakery: carrot soup for her and split pea for me. We split a serving of very-un-Italian lasagna, which was OK, but should be renamed. It consisted of 2 slices of pasta, a slice of Swiss cheese on top and diced carrots and peas between the pasta layers. Christina and I have a big adventure planned for tonight, about which more tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Christina and I walked back to my apartment yesterday after our afternoon of shopping and eating and were persistently followed by a begging child. I have encountered children like this before, but they have never followed me before, nor been so persistent and aggressive. This boy kept up his plea: "I'm hungry money thank you" for several blocks. I began by ignoring him, then shouted at him to go away. He was walking very slowly in front of me, making me try to pass him, but then he would move over on the sidewalk in front of me again. At one point I cut wide to the side when the sidewalk opened into a parklike plaza and ran ahead. Christina said he kept looking at my pockets, but since I don't keep anything in my pockets other than my handkerchief, I wasn't much worried. If he wanted my used handkerchief I wasn't going to protest. So even though incidents like this can tug at your heart and I felt bad for yelling, I wasn't about to open my purse or wallet out on the street. Still, I don't know why he singled me out in preference to her, nor did he bother with any of the Mongolians on the street.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as if this child has all the makings of a pick pocket or con artist! Just be careful, is all I'm gonna say. Your juice adventures sure sound interesting. Banana should be ok. After all, we have orange-pineapple-banana in the US.

    ReplyDelete