Monday, March 15, 2010

Football

Here's a good laugh for all those who know me well. If you don't know me that well, I'm someone who went to school at The University of Texas at Austin for 2 years and never attended a football game. Well, the movie, "The Blind Side", was on TV a couple of nights ago, which I watched in my usual comprehending-only-half-of-the-story manner since the dialogue is all in Mongolian, but basically enjoyed it.

The next day one of my students asked me to explain football. I laughed at the absurdity of the situation, but did my best, which means that I said the team with the ball had 4 tries to move the football 10 yards down the field. If they succeeded, they got to try again for another 10 yards. If they didn't make it, the other team got the ball. I acknowledged to them that there were many rules and penalties that I didn't know, but that was the basis of the game as far as I knew and that ultimately the goal was to move the ball to the goal line to score points. How'd I do?

1 comment:

  1. Your description of American football was perfect, Babette! Short and to the point.

    ReplyDelete