Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Missing puppy

Yesterday, when I fed the dogs in the morning, all 5 were there. When I went out after work, there were only 4: one of the puppies was missing. I walked all the way back to the end of the parking area: no puppy. I whistled for him/her: still no puppy. I did discover several interesting things, however. One: someone has built a dog house at the end of the alley and covered it with some blankets and there is evidence that someone else feeds them. Two: (and most importantly) there are 4 other puppies! These are much younger than the ones I've been feeding, in fact they are still nursing. What I can't figure out is where did they come from? (Yeah, I know...when a girl doggie and a boy doggie really like each other...) No, what I mean is - there are 2 adult male dogs and one adult female dog. I estimated my 2 puppies as being 8-10 weeks old when I got here in January, and these puppies are about 8 weeks old, which puts their birthday in December to January sometime. Momma dog couldn't possibly have reproduced again so quickly after the first litter, so...? 'Tis a mystery - just another one of many I've run across here.
This morning I came again to feed the pack (it has become a pack) and the original puppy is still missing. In addition, I'm concerned about the future of all of them because I doubt that this small area can support 8 (or 9) dogs, and surely there are more to come, considering the history of our lovers.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least someone cares enough to build a dog house. That is encouraging! And you want to help all of them, but that's impossible. Breaks your heart, I know. But you're doing what you can, so that might be a bit cheery. 'Tis a puzzlement, tho, about where the other puppy is.

    ReplyDelete