Monday, March 8, 2010

One of life's perplexities: SOLVED!

"They" have long maintaned that there is no rhyme for the word "orange." Well, I'm here to prove "them" wrong. Depending on how you pronounce "orange", here are the rhyme possibilities, for all you would-be-poets.
If you say OR-INGE: door hinge
Eeyore binge
Days-of-Yore binge
gore-tinge
carnivore binge
nor whinge
If you say OR-ANGE: floor flange
more Ange (like the nickname for Angie, Angela)
Rhyme "Sore flange damn fox" with "Orange salmon lox"
What does that mean? I don't know. It's YOUR poem.
If you say OR-ENGE: for venge(ance), which you can then rhyme with "Orange Ents" (Thank you, JRR Tolkien) or "orange ants".
Soren's (there should be a vertical line through the "o")
born henges

You can rhyme "pour Ganges" with "orange knees (or bees, or seas)
Rhyme "ignore singe" with "pig orange"; rhyme "more ginger" with "oranger"; "injure" with "orange ger".

You can substitute any of the following for the first syllable, depending on the subject of your poem: bore, core, door, floor, for, four, gore, whore, lore, more, nor, ignore, pour, roar, soar, sore, tore, wore, yore or your.

No, you don't have to thank me. I derive my satisfaction just knowing what a contribution I've made to literature. Of course, if you want to put my name in a footnote, or in the dedication, I can't stop you.

Next stop: SILVER!

And you wonder what I did on Women's Day!

1 comment:

  1. What if you pronounce it as one-syllable Or'nge...

    ReplyDelete