Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My big smile

I have a big smile on my face today because of my doggies. Yesterday while out doing errands, I stopped at the State Department Store and bought a couple of things for them: tennis balls and a couple of cheap stuffed animals. Interesting sidenote: they sell tennis balls individually here (no pressurized cans). I first went to the toy department and picked up the stuffed animals and found some small balls in an open bin. One was a soft plastic basketball, about 5" in diameter; the other was a hard plastic ball about 3" in diameter, rather like a whiffle ball, but without the holes. I took the items to the cashier and she turned around and put the balls back in the bin! I looked at her questioningly, and she said something and shrugged her shoulders. I gestured toward the bin and pointed to my wallet, but she shook her head "no". That's when I headed to the sporting goods department and bought the tennis balls, but I'll never know why I couldn't buy the plastic balls.

Anyway, this morning after feeding the dogs, I opened up my bag and gave them the toys and balls. They went crazy! For never having had any toys before, they sure caught on quickly about what balls are for. Two of the adult dogs were playing tug-of-war with one of the stuffed animals and I expect I'll find it in pieces later, but it sure made me feel good to see them having fun!

2 comments:

  1. That gave ME a big smile! Those poor dogs. I can hardly bare to think of them out in that cold, trying to find food, no one to love them. I'm so glad you are able to do that, even if it will soon come to an end for them. At least they've experienced love for a while, and that's a great thing to know. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice of you, Momma! I'm sure they LOVED the toys.

    ReplyDelete