Thursday, March 4, 2010

After the train station

After my visit to the railway headquarters, I stopped at the Russian Embassy because I'll need a transit visa to get to Moscow. Unfortunately I was too late for the one hour per day that they are open for visa applications, but I made a note to return next week. After leaving the vicinity of the embassy I was stopped at an intersection waiting to cross the street when a car came barreling down the street, running the red light. There was a policeman at the intersection and he blew his whistle and pulled the guy over. I rejoiced, thinking that I was finally going to see some enforcement of traffic laws, but all the cop did was make the driver wait to proceed through the intersection until the drivers he was letting turn left into that lane had gotten through. I wonder what, if anything, they do give tickets for?

In addition, on my way to the embassy, I passed a fashion mall where, to my amazement, they had huge billboard signs of Michelle and Barack advertising clothing! The captions on the signs had them expressing how much fun fashion is. I wonder if the US Consul has seen these.

2 comments:

  1. Hoping you don't know the answer due to personal experience but by asking your students...if they don't enforce traffic laws (which I doubt they have!!), how is the crime rate in general? A lot of burglaries or assaults or domestic violence? Just curious. What are the police for, then, if they don't even worry about red light runners. Why even have traffic lights???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you take a picture of the Obama billboard, please!!?

    ReplyDelete